Eight steps to renew ID-card certificates
A security risk affecting ID-cards issued since October 2014 has been detected and all certificates of these cards shall be suspended by the state on 3 November at 24:00.
It will not be possible anymore to use electronically the ID-card with revoked certificates. This means that the ID-card will still be valid as a physical means of identification, however it cannot be used for logging into Internet Bank and other e-services or provide a digital signature.
- ID-cards, the certificates of which have been revoked, can be remotely renewed in a PC or at the Police and Border Guard Board Service Offices until 31 March 2018. Since there is a large number of certificates that need renewing in a very short period of time, system capacity problems may occur in the course of this process and renewal might not be possible at the time suitable for you. Please, be patient and consistent!
- View the YouTube tutorial on renewing the ID-card certificates.
- To renew the certificates, you need to download the most recent version of ID-software at installer.id.ee. If the certificates need renewing, the new ID-card software will notify you of it.
- Please have a paper and pen at hand when renewing the certificates. During the renewal, you will be given new PINs and the old PINs will be immediately invalidated. If you face problems during the remote renewal, these may be related to high network load.
- Keep your ID-card in the card reader throughout the renewal process. Do not remove the card from the card reader during renewal. If you interrupt the renewal process, it will not be possible anymore to renew the card in your PC and you should visit a Police and Border Guard Board Service Office.
- If an error message is displayed during the renewal, you may remove the card and try again later. If the system has given error messages repeatedly during the renewal processes and renewing has failed, you can renew the certificates at the Police and Border Guard Board Service Offices.
- View additional information on the ID-card webpage.
- If the ID-card certificates have been successfully updated, however you still can’t use the ID-card, check the following:
- If you renewed the ID-card certificates in another PC, check whether the ID-card software in the computer you are using has been updated.
- Follow the instructions of the ID-card Help Centre.
In case of problems, contact the ID-card helpline on 1777, call 677 3377 or send a letter at email@example.com.